View Single Post
Old 14th September 2022, 03:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Fistful of Dollars (1964)

The film that kicked off both the Spaghetti Western genre outside Italy and also the career of star Clint Eastwood.

Sergio Leoni's take on the Japanese Samurai classic Yojimbo (1961) is a thrilling, violent and seriously cool slice of cinema. So much so that it revitalised the then flagging American western genre as later traditional sixties American films such as Major Dundee (1965), The Professionals (1966), Bandolero (1968) and 69's The Wild Bunch among others certainly showed the influence of Leoni and his Dollars trilogy.

The Blu-ray i finally got round to buying is nicely stacked with extras often hosted by the excellent Sir Christopher Frayling who is pretty much the Kim Newman of Spaghetti Westerns. Oh how i envy Frayling's original poster collection.
I bought the BluRay set (again!) after seeing Jay and Rich Evans wax ebulliently about it. Already have a set in Ireland, but it was cheaper to import the set to Japan from Amazon. Go figure!

Glad to hear the Frayling commentary is great. I love his book, Spaghetti Westerns, and his commentary for The Innocents is very detailed.