View Single Post
Old 13th February 2023, 10:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Whip And The Body. 1963.

We got a director known for creating masterpiece movies Mario Bava and a actor known for playing excellent roles Christopher Lee who isn't afraid to use a whip outside. This does have its nice gothic setting castle with plenty of dark atmosphere, secret tunnels nice cinematography, this should work but it doesn't. After the first 15-20 minutes the film just went on a slow go pace that became a bore fest for me, the 88 Italian collection of this film was released but I decided to stream this online and glad I didn't go with a blind buy as I usually do. This was a big disappointment for me.
I quite like it but not enough to buy the new 88 Films release at twenty five quid. I'm happy enough with my Screenbound Blu.

It's certainly not "one of the greatest films of legendary director Mario Bava" as 88 Films claim on the back cover blurb.

I'm not really convinced by the colours of the Blu-ray either, 88's clip although seemingly better than the Screenbound and Kino versions is still a bit too blue and very dark with much detail seen on the dvd lost in darkness.