View Single Post
Old 21st February 2023, 10:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I saw this last when it was first released on DVD and should really revisit it.

I've just looked at my review and I rated it at the time, even being impressed by Paul Kaye (at the time best-known for playing Dennis Pennis on TV) as the scientist responsible for the titular equation.

These were my final thoughts:

"Stellan Skarsgård has the perfect mix of gravitas and world-weariness as Eddie, the cop who’s equally at home on the streets as the criminals and has a good relationship with Melissa George, now a genre regular after appearances in Turistas (Paradise Lost), The Amityville Horror and 30 Days of Night.

WΔZ is Tom Shankland’s feature film debut and it’s an accomplished one at that. The cover quote “SAW by way of SE7EN” sums it up well, as WΔZ is an intelligent and involving detective drama, with a fine denouement and toe-curling torture scenes.

Recommended for genre fans."

I also enjoyed the commentary by Tom Shankland and Alan Jones.
I came across it on Prime, have watched it before and enjoyed it but enjoyed it a bit more this time. Paul Kaye is a good comedian but this showcased how good of a serious actor he can be given a decent role.

Think I will have to re-watch Paradise Lost, I done a triple feature night with that along with Captivity and Catacombs a few years back.