View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2023, 03:17 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BARBARIAN – Last year’s horror hot property is a cautionary fable about the hidden dangers of air b’n’bs. No spoilers from this point on, not that I imagine you’ll see any of ‘Barbarian’s left turns coming – let’s just say that I was surprised to find such a mainstream film, validated by Disney no less, heading at one point for decidedly icky territory. In the end it sticks with the tropes as often as the curve balls, and there’s not much in it that’s truly atypical, but I think the only real fault I’d level its way is that the ending is all a little convenient and a bit of scramble – otherwise, it’s really well done, to the point of near excellence. I hope this one gets a physical release because I’d probably buy it.

WATCHER – From Chloe Okuno. Jaded actor Maika Monroe lands in Bucharest – not speaking Rumanian, she finds herself adrift. The creepy guy who follows her around doesn’t help, and neither do the mutilated bodies that keep turning up near her apartment… ‘Watcher’ is a pretty decent fish-out-of-water thriller that might’ve been just a tad overrated in recent reviews, but its taut atmosphere and brewing paranoia are pretty compelling and well handled. Very different to what you might expect after the grotty lo-fi nineties sewer worship of Okuno’s ‘Storm Drain’ from ‘VHS 94’. Monroe is very good as always and on the whole this is haunting, pacy, and well worth checking out imo.
Have been meaning to check out Barbarian for a while I definitely will now.