View Single Post
Old 12th March 2023, 03:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I really like Young Guns.

It has an authenticity of the real west. Ramshackle saloons, dirty dressed people, that sort of thing with some genuinely nasty moments such as the gunning down of Stamp's Tunstall. A man who tries to improve his bratty young ranch hands through etiquette and reading poetry as well as sheer hard work. But despite all this when they are deputised it simply turns them into killers on the loose rather then actual deputies of the law and you know from the outset that our 'heroes' will be dead long before they become men. The quiet moments such as round the dinner table and Doc falling in love are what holds the film together and give it heart. We know Billy will turn into a renegade murderer but it's nice to see that when it comes to catching a pig he just ends up covered in shit as you or i would.

It's also a terrific young cast held together with a couple of western legends. At the time it was seen as a kind of 'Brat pack' western akin to The Lost Boys with it's young cast but i actually think it's so much more than that.

Young Guns II is a more fun film in a way. Perhaps helped by the excellent Blaze of Glory soundtrack album from Jon Bon Jovi which was huge at the time. Maybe you'll like that more.

"Yoohoo! I'll make you famous"
I agree. I've always loved the film ever since it's network premiere on...ITV I believe it was many moons ago. Easily the best role Emilio Estevez has ever had.
Love the soundtrack too. The main title theme is fantastic.