View Single Post
Old 21st March 2023, 12:29 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

barbarian-2022-review.jpg

On a miserable dark wet night a lone female in town for a job interview pulls up outside her rented Air BnB. After forcing herself out of her car into the rain she discovers the keys to her accommodation are missing. Trying to contact the people who she rented the place from she cant get an answer returning to her car to shelter from the elements and plan her next move suddenly a man appears at the door just as startled as she is it would appear the place has been doubled booked . After some time chatting and hopelessly trying to get a hotel room they decide that he will take the couch and she will take the bed until they can sort something out the next day. What seems like a risky situation escalates but not for the reasons one might expect when two strangers take a chance on each other but inside this house things are far darker than they appear from the outside.

Barbarian gets off to a great start obviously the decision making right off the bat is a little stupid but no bad decisions no film so we look past that one . I'll try not to give too many details with a film that's so new so excuse me if I'm a little vague here.

When things really kick off you might be forgiven for thinkinh aw for f**k sake after the start of the film would suggest it's going to be a different sort of film entirely but it is quite sinister and disturbing althought not in your face with gore or explicit details it's what we don't see that makes this so dark even little subtle details after the film is over and you think back it's full of so many unsettling little things that really stuck with me since last night. Its easy to take it all at face value and think well that's rediculous but there is a lot going on under the surface if you really pay attention.

I really loved Justin Longs character what a little weasley scum bag he is.

I really enjoyed it and it has improved as I think even more about it and let it all settle in. The soundtrack also deserves a special mention really gets under the skin brilliant.

I really hope that can be classed as a review for how vague it was

It's a thumbs up from me.

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 21st March 2023 at 12:43 PM.