View Single Post
Old 30th March 2023, 06:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Hollywood Classics, another logo on the reverse of so many discs, are another film rights agency.

https://www.hollywoodclassics.com
Knowing about these guys still doesn't fully clear up the confusion for me.

For instance, Hollywood Classics includes movies owned by Warners and yet only the BFI has been able to licence from Warner and as I understand it that has only been for 'important' British movies.

Yes, Warners were the main contributors to HMV's Premium Collection but did HMV actually licence anything or were they just allowed to spruce up the packaging for titles Warner released themselves.

The ones I noted on the studiocanal website appear to be AIP titles owned by MGM, although I may be mistaken, which led me to think there was some sort of special relationship.

I'd really like to understand it a little better because I might then be able to understand why some titles of clear commercial value don't seem to get a Bluray release in the UK?

A good example would be Planet of the Vampires. I think it's owned by MGM. it's listed on Park Circus, it's listed in the studiocanal library, it's had releases in both the US and continental Europe but not in the UK. Being one of Bava's most high profile films you'd think a boutique label in the UK would be all over it?

I wish someone in the industry would do some sort of blog to explain and join the dots. It would probably be boring for most people but I think I'd find it interesting.