View Single Post
Old 21st April 2023, 09:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Golden Child (1986)

Fun Eddie Murphy fantasy in which he plays an LA social worker assigned to track down a Tibetan boy with mystical powers who has been kidnapped by Charles Dance and his diabolical cult.

The first half all set in Los Angeles is superior to the Tibetan set second half, especially when Murphy takes out a biker gang as Ratt's Body Talk video blasts out of the tv. Murphy is great in social worker mode when he guests on a tv show with a moron of a presenter and you care about his relationship with Charlotte Lewis' character who enlists him to find the Golden Child.

The film's second half isn't really a patch on the first other than a battle with Dance who transforms into a winged stop motion style demon at the finale. In fact it's practically a poor mans reworking of Big Trouble in Little China which hit cinemas the previous summer.
I haven't seen this for years. Always enjoyed it though. Have to be honest I don't actually remember the first half you mentioned Dem. I remember the more Indiana Jones themed second half. Although as I say it's been so so long.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk