View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2023, 03:07 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

spring-breakers-poster.jpg

Sick of the same old town the same old faces and the same old shit four friends scrape together enough money to go to spring break by both honest and illegal means. This is the trip of a life time for these girls more than just partying but a chance to see something different and find themselves and discover who they really are. This is one voyage of discovery that these teens won't like what they find and will change them for the rest of their lives for both good and bad.

I watched this for the first time about a year ago and instantly fell in love with it after avoiding it for years thinking it was some crappy teen drama a prime example of don't judge a book by it's cover.

This is my second time watching this and it still blows me away everything about this is amazing honestly. The party scenes at spring break are full of jocks and assholes but the way it's shot is perfect so we don't have to listen to any of their macho talk. The first half of the film is filled with plenty of uncomfortable scenes with the girls in some not so ideal situations that could go badly every fast and these can be a hard watch but sadly that's a reality of what goes on much too often.

Spring breakers feels like your dreaming it feels like your not watching a film but it's like your there witnessing it all first hand it's hard to explain but you find yourself on the same voyage of discovery as the girls we all want what's over there but sometimes what you have going on here is much better you just need to to be shown but sometimes you can't come back.

The cinematography is amazing the sun sets on the beach the neon drenched streets at night the mesmerising way the violence is shown with some amazing music playing over these slow motion scenes taking you even further into the dream. The film is pure artistry and has lost none of its impact from the first time I watched it.

James Franco is brilliant as Alien he is seedy and dangerous he is brash and full of himself but you can see this is a tough front he uses to hide the fact that he is lost and scared and these girls are changing him because they are not just there for the money and all the fancy things he has they are just as crazy as he is and they feed off the danger and he has finally found what he has always been looking for and no he is terrified to lose it. All this is no more evident than the Brittany Spears scene which is one of my favourite scenes in any film I have very little knowledge of Brittany Spears music but this is a touching scene that really exposes Aliens vulnerability again how this scene is shot is breathtaking the sun setting on the beach the pink balaclavas the way the girls dance with the guns it's just amazing.

I love this film I bought the blu ray straight away after I watched this on Netflix that first time because I just knew this was a special film and watching it again today I still feel that way.

Beautiful haunting and very thought provoking.

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 23rd April 2023 at 03:24 PM.