View Single Post
Old 4th June 2023, 01:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

THE DENTIST 2 – From Brian Yuzna. I quite liked ‘The Dentist’, but I was getting restless with this. Corbin Bernsen gives another good turn as whacko Dr Feinstone, this time washed up in hicksville. He’s a murderer on the run, but folks need their teeth sorting out so I guess they just leave him to it. A kind of ‘noirish small-town murder with intrigue and double crossing’ feeling evolves, but ‘The Dentist 2’, despite basically being an OKish watch, could have done with a few more of the kind of flourishes Yuzna gets into when he starts thinking he’s authentically weird like a Cronenberg or a Lynch – he treats us to a couple of insects-in-mouth hallucinations and some jagged toothy maws, but we really needed more of them. And just more horror stuff generally. Well, passable I suppose. Apparently the BBFC felt obliged “to remove sadistic details” from it back when it came out; you’d be forgiven for wondering which ones, though.
I had this on VHS in the late 90s, watched it...or attempted to watch it and only got half a hour into it and turned it off. It seemed to follow the near same path as The Stepfather 2 but failed badly.