View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2023, 08:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Possession (1981)

I know how highly rated this is but i simply do not like it. I admit Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill, Adjani in particular, give extremely strong performances but her constant histrionics and screaming from the off really annoy the shit out of me to the point of distraction.

Possession is barely a horror film unless you take kitchen sink grittiness as horror which i suppose it is as domestic violence and power struggles are as close to home as horror gets but it's not what i call entertainment. It's as though the creature Adjani hides in the disused apartment was thrown in to add a bit of Lovcraft weird to proceedings as it's possible it's not even real and simply a figment of Adjani's psychosis.

I do like the Cold War Berlin setting. That's certainly original for the horror genre. I'm sure it's a film that has many complex themes and is deemed so worthy by those who enjoy this sort of endurance test but i lose interest due to the constant screaming and shouting.

The Second Sight dvd wasn't great image wise so following a second viewing of it last night i've traded it in at Cex for a tenner.
I tried watching this recently, didn't like it at all. I found it to be an irritating art house film. When Adjani was talking directly to the camera was where I gave up on it (couldn't stand it any longer).