View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2023, 01:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE VOICES – Never a great idea to follow the advice of pets, especially when they include a really dark cat. The guy with the pet problem is Deadpool, who is more likeable here than the voices in his head. True to form, the ‘horror movie depiction of madness’ experience leaves him with a scummy flat littered with body parts, making ‘The Voices’ something like a light-hearted ‘Maniac’, only twice as bleak. Sharp, cute and nasty in all the right places. From Marjane Satrapi, director of ‘Persopolis’, with good turns by Reynolds, Gemma Arterton and Anna Kendrick.

LAST SHIFT – From the director of the really quite nasty ‘Dread’ (and some less nasty other stuff). A rookie cop does a solo gig on the last night of a soon-to-shut police precinct; sinister forces ensure that the loose toilet habits of a passing tramp are the least of her worries. I saw it once, ages ago, but couldn’t remember much; think I fell asleep. No aspersions cast, it’s a good, solid B pic with some nice atmosphere and imagery. It does stretch credulity in places (which would never be problem for me with something much trashier, but ‘Last Shift’ does rely on the niceties of characterisation, narrative, psychology and all that cinematic whatnot) and its cultic backstory is slightly ho-hum, but it’s nothing if not a decent watch. I don’t really get why he remade it ten years later though.
The Voices sounds good.

Dread sounds familiar. I don't know if i have it or not. Perhaps i once owned it. Perhaps it's simply been in my wishlist for too long. Puzzles, puzzles.