View Single Post
Old 4th July 2023, 06:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Formula for a Murder aka 7, Hyden Park – La casa maledetta (1985)

Outstanding Italian thriller with more than the odd nod to Hitchcock.

The story about a man marrying a traumatized wheelchair bound woman then plotting her murder so he can get his hands on her money isn't particularly original but the direction and performances make this an extremely gripping and suspenseful tale.

David Warbeck, here fantastic in his villainous role and Christina Nagy as the crippled heiress are absolutely first rate, fighting it out in a knuckle whitening final third. Being a giallo, violence is par for the course and the blood certainly splatters in this film. We are treated to a throat slashing and Warbeck caving someone's head in in a church among others. The film also has a disturbing back story of child abuse running through it heightened by a doll with a creepy line in songs and a voice guaranteed to make you cringe.

Director Alberto De Martino paces the film superbly, building up tension from the off then never letting you go, nor does he allow your attention to wander. This release from Shameless was an unknown quantity to me the first time i saw it, but after just two viewings i would comfortably place it in my top ten gialli list.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg locandina.jpg (57.1 KB, 3 views)