View Single Post
Old 9th July 2023, 05:26 PM
Cult Addict

Romasanta - The Werewolf Hunt. Paco Plaza. 2004.

Spain, the mid 1800's. The countryside is plagued with a series of brutal deaths, that would appear to be the work of wild animals were it not for the strange presence of precise surgical incisions amongst the otherwise savage mutilation.
B?*rbara lives with her sister deep in the forest where Romasanta, a mysterious travelling vendor hangs his hat when in town.
Why though does this mysterious traveller have no fear of the dangerous wolves that menace the woods and what secrets does he keep from the women so enamoured with his attentions?

Following the sad confirmation of the late Julian Sands death I decided to watch something starring the actor.
As it stands, the only title I own is this little Spanish/British oddity from the now defunct I believe, Fantastic Factory.

My third viewing of Romasanta and I'm pleased to say the first time it's clicked with me. That's not to say I've found a new masterpiece, however it's certainly got more going on that I'd previously felt. I wonder if it's largely that I've expected a different film. For instance the title suggests an out and out Werewolf movie. The artwork on the dvd case has the look of a brooding action horror, in the vein of Brotherhood of the Wolf, an admittedly superior film although probably not really a fair comparison all told. Therefore sticking it on late at night after a few drinks expecting a bit of action was a mistake and I doubt I gave it the attention it deserved when it appeared bugger all was happening.
Romasanta is essentially a brooding gothic thriller with romantic overtones. Supposedly based on a true historical character, Julian Sands plays Manuel Romasanta with a mixture of enigmatic charm and at times genuinely chilling detachment, certainly once we come to realise what lurks behind his benign exterior. However when the plot calls for it there's a surprising innocence to the performance as well. Also of note is Elsa Pataky as Romasanta's love interest, turned nemesis B?*rbara, the victim who slowly becomes an avenging angel.
The whole thing looks gorgeous and either every penny of its budget is on screen or the producers were very lucky when it came to locations, beautiful woodlands, old gothic mortuaries and even a few courtroom scenes. The dvd from Arrows Fantastic Factory boxset looks absolutely stunning too. Last thing to mention is the supporting cast who all look the part, especially the wonderful David Gant as Professor Phillips, one of those ahead of his time scholarly types who looks like he walked straight out of classic gothic cinema of yesteryear.
Romasanta, approached with patience and the right mindset is a very good film that perhaps with time I will consider a great one.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk