View Single Post
Old 21st July 2023, 10:12 AM
Cult Addict

In the Earth. Ben Wheatley. 2021.

While the world at large is at the mercy of an unnamed virus, Martin a scientist and Alma a park ranger, head deep into the forests of England to retrieve important scientific data relating to the study of the trees. Along the way it becomes unclear if the forests of ye olde England are actually conducting research of their own.
That is essentially the plot of Ben Wheatleys latest foray into the folk horror subgenre.
Reading up on the film it seems In the Earth was conceived and made slap bang in the middle of covid. The pandemic being likely the unnamed virus in the film. Quite a smart play on Wheatleys part really as virtually the whole film takes place in the countryside with very few performers, only four main roles in the whole thing.
This resourceful approach is among the reasons I really wanted to love In the Earth, as it is I'm afraid I just found it be ok. Some great scenes, a slow burn build up, a fantastic middle section do a lot for the film. Unfortunately it's not enough to make it great.
Firstly there is the issue of acting. On the whole it's good with the exception of the lead actor Joel Fry, however I'm struggling to blame the actual acting. I've seen him in a few other things and he's generally suited to roles like 'stoner flatmate' or something. Here he is woefully miscast and simply didn't sell the role of scientist to me at all, particularly when other aspects of the plot start to unfold and this becomes a role that needs an actor of a little bit more weight and diversity. For such a pivotal character, I felt it was essential to care and believe and sadly I found I did neither.
Stand out performance goes to Reece Shearesmith as Zach, a survivalist type living in the woods, as usual he's very good playing an off the wall character with a grounded understated approach.
As mentioned there is a brilliant middle section with some dark humour and a scene that took me back to first watching a certain Tobe Hooper power tool themed classic many years ago. I'm not sure I'll return to In the Earth anytime soon but I'll certainly keep it in my collection for future reference.

Last edited by J Harker; 21st July 2023 at 10:28 AM.