View Single Post
Old 12th August 2023, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Shanghai Express (1932)

Tells the eventful story of a train load of passengers held hostage by revolutionaries during the Chinese civil war including Marlene Dietrich's notorious prostitute 'Shanghai Lily' and a former lover in Clive Brook's British army captain.

I bought this Indicator Blu-ray mainly because i love the cover art which reproduces the movie poster below. Marlene Dietrich was always someone i felt over did her acting in the few other films i'd seen her in such as 1952's Rancho Notorious, however she's brilliant here.

She absolutely radiates serpentine like sexuality in a performance which came across as both powerful and slinky and she looks stunning, Partly helped by the fabulous photography and sumptuous use of light and shadow from director Josef von Sternberg as well as a gorgeous array of costumes.

A special mention to Anna May Wong and Warner Oland who is best known as Inspector Chan in the Charlie Chan series of films. The two play mind games throughout the film until it comes to a bloody conclusion.

This is probably as extravagant as civil war China ever looked and i'll definitely be checking out more of Dietrich's work with von Sternberg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shanghai_Express_(1932)_original_poster.jpg (47.7 KB, 2 views)