View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

It's been a while since I posted to this thread, but here is a very rapid update of what I've been watching the last couple of weeks...

Jungle Holocaust: One of my favourite cannibal films, and one that I hadn't visited in a long while.

The Escapees: Very underated and obscure film by Jean Rollin which tells the tale of two girls on the run from a mental institution. There is a cameo by the gorgeous Brigitte Lahaie too - which is always a bonus.

Hell of the Living Dead: Bruno Mattei's (AKA Vincent Dawn ) cheesy zombie masterpiece. Very silly, but great fun all the same.

Vampyres: Joseph Larraz's erotic vampire yarn. Pretty solid stuff and one of the better British erotic vampire films, imo. Certainly better than Hammer's Lust for a Vampire anyway...

The Toolbox Murders: Nowhere near the quality of Ferrara's similarly themed and later effort: The Driller Killer imo, but still an essential slice of '70s schlock cinema. I'd completely forgotten Cameron Mitchell was in it though...

The Curse of Frankenstein: Probably my favourite Hammer Frankenstein film, and even though Lee's talents are err... criminally under-used (), Cushing is on top form as always and shows everyone why he was the definitive Baron Frankenstein.

Bloody Reunion (Seuseung-ui eunhye): Pretty decent Korean revenge/slasher/serial killer flick. I'd never seen this before and some good gore, an interesting story, and a few twists made this enjoyable.

La morte vivante (The Living Dead Girl): One of my favourite Rollin films, and a must watch for anyone even remotely into the erotic vampire genre. As usual, with Rollin the cinematography is excellent, but is less dreamy and surreal than much of his other work.

Nude for Satan (Nuda per satana): A surreal mind-f*ck of a film, but highly engaging (imo). Watch out for Rita Calderoni getting 'sexually assaulted' by the most fake looking giant spider ever seen too...

Black Demons: I'd never seen this before, but I was impressed with the suspense created by Lenzi, and the voodoo take on the zombie uprising, complete with disfigured, shackled, undead slaves. I was disappointed with the lack of gore and zombie attacks though. Apart from two deliciously gross eyeball extraction scenes it was pretty bloodless; the zombies even backed off (willingly ) from the attack at times... pretty good overall though.

As you can see, I have too much free time on my hands.