View Single Post
Old 20th September 2023, 12:36 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As I knew that it would be leaving Prime Video for Paramount+ soon, I binge watched Star Trek: Lower Decks, an animated comedy series created by Mike McMahon (Solar Opposites).

As the name suggests, it's part of the expanded Star Trek universe but focusing on the people who make the starships work on USS Cerritos, one of Starfleet's least important ships.

The two main characters are Beckett Mariner, the daughter of a Starfleet captain whose insubordinate nature often puts her at odds with her best friend, Brad Boimler, an aspiring captain and stickler for the rules, who lacks the confidence to follow his instincts and bend/break the rules for optimum outcome.

This is basically an odd couple comedy with the two ill-matched ensigns having to work together for the benefit of the USS Cerritos, with Mariner willing to do what it takes as long as it keeps parentage a secret whereas Boimler wants to stick to the rulebook and follow his superiors' orders.

I enjoyed the first season a lot and watched it very quickly, moving straight onto the second and then third seasons. It's annoying for me that the fourth season is only on Paramount+ and I would only watch it by taking out a free trial.

If you like Star Trek and/or irreverent comedies, such as Solar Opposites and Rick and Morty, then you're likely to really enjoy this.