View Single Post
Old 24th March 2010, 11:47 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Pink Floyd: The Wall

The film that inspired many of my school generation to yell "Hey teacher, leave those kids alone" (before running rapidly down the next corridor to escape). You don't have to be a Pink Floyd aficionado to appreciate this (I'm only a fan of their early Syd Barrett years) but either way this nightmarish, nihilistic movie stays with you long after you've seen it. I first 'experienced' it back in 1982 on the cinema, and left feeling as if I'd been hit by a very large train.

The 'AA' rating at the time was remarkably lenient, given the quite graphic violence, sexual footage (including hints of oral sex and a brief glimpse of lower female nudity during a sex scene), self mutilation (Geldof wincingly razoring his chest and hacking his eyebrows off), and a brief but nasty sexual assault scene (a woman being forcibly stripped topless). Even today it's a remarkably powerful film though it leaves you feeling physically drained. There's no humour or light relief in this film whatsoever, and even Gerald Scarfe's outstanding (and equally bloody/sexual) animations contain images that stay with you for a long time. For me this was more horrific than most horror films at that time.

Bob Geldof is mesmerising as Pink. Even though his lines are limited to mumbled dialogue (as are everyones) and one song (In The Flesh), you can't take your eyes off him. Especially his unforgettable hotel trashing scene ("Take that, f***ers!"). Sharp eyed viewers will spot Bob Hoskins as Geldof's agent, former Boney star James Laurenson as his father, Philip Davis & Gary Olsen as roadies, a young Joanne Whalley as a short-skirted groupie, and even Floyd maestro Roger Waters himself at Geldof's wedding.

An awesome movie that has to be experienced at least once. You wouldn't want to do it too often.