View Single Post
Old 13th November 2023, 01:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Curse Of The Werewolf. 1961.

Hammer's entry (and only one) to the Wolfman/Werewolf genre, this time set in Spain that has a narration over it and can be a very slow start. Oliver Reed marks his film debut and appears 50 minutes into the film.This does seem to be a homage to the 1941 Lon Chaney film with the same make-up and a man who has a Curse but doesn't want it and yet can't control it when the animal instincts take over. Terence Fisher did try his best to make it entertaining and those above him probably had to force changes back then to appraise a audience with little violence shown on screen. This could be a film that you can have a love/hate relationship with.

Attachment 248762
It’s funny you mention the love / hate for this one. When I first saw it donkeys years ago when I was getting into watching Hammer films for the first time, it was one of my least favourites from the studio.
Over the years and having watched it a few times since, it has become one of my favourites of the original Hammer classics. A terrific film with arguably one of the very best werewolf designs.