View Single Post
Old 13th December 2023, 11:53 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 12

L'arma l'ora il Movente (1972)

Internationally titled The Weapon, the Hour, the Motive, this is an intriguing little giallo. From what i understand it was the first one to feature that regular giallo motif the corrupt priest. Here said priest is having an affair with two women until he abruptly calls them both off. Soon after he is found murdered in his church. Both women quickly become the suspects of the local police inspector (A very good Renzo Montagnani) however the only witness allegedly is a young boy who doesn't seem entirely trust worthy.

Director Francesco Mazzei seems to be as influenced by the slew of nunsploitation films that populated European cinema at the time as he was the typical giallo as the film is full of naked nuns be it in the shower or flagellating themselves more so than giallo style murders, although there is a beautifully graphic throat slashing scene courtesy of the maestro Carlo Rambaldi.

The acting is uniformly excellent, the convent a good location and there's creeping suspense due to tight direction from Mazzei along with a slightly surreal air to certain scenes that for me elevated this above the standard giallo thriller.

I look forward to seeing this again in the coming months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L'arma,_l'ora,_il_movente.jpg (20.4 KB, 4 views)