View Single Post
Old 9th February 2024, 03:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Since my last post in this thread, I finished the Sons of Anarchy box set, watching all 91 episodes of the seven seasons (plus rewatches with the commentaries) relatively quickly and without interspersing it with another TV series.

I think the speed worked because it allowed me to go from one season to the next without forgetting what happened previously and focus on the narrative and character arcs, and interpersonal relationships, in a way that would have been impossible if I was watching more than one show at a time.

I found it interesting that I noticed Charlie Hunnam's English accent occasionally leaking through in the way he pronounced certain words within sentences that were otherwise very American, moreso the way he emphasises the 't' sound in words that Americans would probably say with a 'd' sound. I think that's what Tom Holland meant when he said that it was easier for English actors to speak with a convincing (or passable) American accent than for American actors to learn RP English.

Sons of Anarchy is a really good show and one of those drama shows which is both popular and acclaimed, and, like Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, or Succession, focuses on anti-heroes, people who are amoral criminals or even murderers that you grow to like and even root for, siding with them instead of law-enforcement officials.

After that, because I noticed the second season of Reacher was on Prime Video, I rewatched the first season to familiarise myself with the characters again and have watched the first few episodes of the second season. It's a good show which benefits from Alan Ritchson, a huge man, playing the titular character – although I haven't read any of Lee Child's books, Ritchson matches the descriptions of Reacher I've read online. He is also a very good actor, able to be brutal, humorous, and appropriately tender, with fine support from the good ensemble cast. If you have Prime Video, I recommend it.