View Single Post
Old 21st February 2024, 11:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The House Of The Devil. 2009.

Jocelin Donahue plays Samantha a struggling college lass in 1983 accepts a job as a babysitter for Tom Noonan and Mary Woronov who tell her she isn't babysitting a child but his mother in law while they go and observe the eclipse. All going well till Samantha realises something is off.

Ti West does a throw back to a 80s film, having Dee Wallace in a horror even for a cameo is worth something and have Tom Noonan appear is a throwback as he was a bit of a big star in the 80s and 90s. I'm sure some would think having 400 quid thrown your way for one nights work would be a big thing.

Isolation and atmosphere in one house always work and you never know what will happen as we wait for something to happen and doesn't but then we get something of a small reveal happening, then a bit of a big reveal then the finale that comes with a good twist about the elderly couple and their homicidal trigger finger happy son, then boom goes the dynamite with another twist. I never gave this film much recognition and didn't quite make it to the end the first time watching this and now, i loved it.

Attachment 250110

I find a lot of slow burners better than a lot of films these days, because they concentrate on tension, atmosphere, build up and then bam. Something a lot of films don't seem to do.. They get the formula so wrong, sometimes they're more gripping if done right than a film with wall to wall action and violence.