View Single Post
Old 21st February 2024, 02:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Devil's Backbone. 2001.

Second Guillermo del Toro movie this week and this one takes a bit of a darker turn as orphanages can be a nightmare, this setting is certainly a nightmare for a 12 year old who is bullied and hears a sinister voice and sees a ghost while the walls hide a dark secret.

Set in 1939 either during or after the Spanish civil war with a deactivated bomb on the grounds is enough to give out some tension but set in a isolated atmospheric building with a ghost inside is certainly enough to keep me on the edge of my seat. Federico Luppi as Dr. Casares is superb, providing us with a true hero, a gentleman of class and compassion that he wants to be a father/protector to the children and even those playing the boys, their acting is amazing to watch even the bullies not accepting the new arrival to then accepting him. This doesn't come across as a horror but more supernatural thriller but certainly mixed with a good background score makes it creepy. One I thought I'd never enjoy but I was wrong.

MV5BZTI3MDcwZGItZDMwNS00ZDBjLWEwOGEtMWEyMWUxNDlkYzBjL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg