View Single Post
Old 1st March 2024, 12:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Two great films there, MrB. The Passion of Joan of Arc is one of the masterpieces from the silent and stands up today as an incredibly powerful piece of filmmaking, one highlighted by Maria Falconetti, whose face is the canvas on which Carl Theodor Dreyer uses to showcase his directorial skills.

The Sting is a completely different film, a wonderful caper with great performances from Paul Newman, Robert Redford, and Robert Shaw. I don't think it's as accomplished as The Exorcist, the film that should have won the Best Picture Oscar that year, but it's a superbly scripted comedy/drama/thriller which uses Scott Joplin's ragtime music, particular The Entertainer, Solace, and The Easy Winners to great effect.
Silent films are something I do enjoy they are films that speak for themselves with entertainment and at the time production values, Nosferatu and L'Inferno still creep me out, Passion Of Joan Or Arc this just jumps right in to the film and that's what made it more appealing to watch.

The Sting I saw parts of it when I was young as my dad enjoyed it and I asked him about it and all he said was "just take a look at it" Redford, Newman and Shaw were a great combination of actors that made the film more enjoyable and I agree it should have won a award