View Single Post
Old 29th April 2024, 05:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Outlander (2008)

Kainan, a man from a far off world crash lands in 709AD Norway and has unwittingly let loose a vicious alien creature known as the Moorwen which was being held on his ship.

The predator begins to terrorise the locals so Kainan joins forces with the Viking community in an attempt to recapture or kill the creature.

There's much to enjoy here even if the best parts of the film do seem pilfered from other sources such as the poem Beowulf as well as the likes of Predator and Alien. The cast including Jim Caviezel as Kainan, Jack Huston, Sophia Myles and Ron Perlman give the film an energetic vibrancy whilst John Hurt as the grizzled warrior chief is seemingly having a lot of fun.

The location sets work well and have a realistic muddy look to them although extremely reminiscent of John McTiernan's The 13th Warrior, but that's not a bad thing in my book.

I suppose the film is best summed up by how i bought it. A pound at the local Air Ambulance shop. Ideal to upgrade my dvd to Blu-ray at that price and an enjoyable couple of hours viewing once more last night, but probably not the kind of film i'd actively seek out and pay seven or eight quid for.

Now, i wonder if The 13th Warrior is available on Blu-ray?