View Single Post
Old 4th May 2024, 07:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movie 61

Dragonwyck. 1946.

A young farm girl is contacted by a distant relative to be a governess for a young girl in a remote mansion.

Thanks to Dem for posting a picture in his Gothic thread that I went on the hunt for this, it's one of those I only partially watched and forgot about the plot. This is a lushly Gothic melodrama; abound with themes of social class; centring on the struggle between the rich and the poor in nineteenth century America. The most striking thing about Dragonwyck is the beauty of the piece. The sets are brilliantly Gothic which keeps the atmosphere thick and foreboding, which in turn ensures that the film succeeds in capturing the best of it's mood and story line.

The Gothic romance with supernatural touches shows the confrontation between an atheistic arrogant man and his naive religious wife. The performance of Vincent Price is top-notch and the gorgeous Gene Tierney performs as a naive character but with strong principles. Walter Huston is also amazing. A great Saturday morning feature.

Dragonwyck_film_poster.jpeg