View Single Post
Old 21st May 2024, 02:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That is one of those nondescript Arrow slashers that I had to double check if I have seen it (or own a copy), no to both lol, probably won?t bother now
I actually really enjoyed it once again. Yes it's padded out ridiculously - there's a conversation between two park rangers about cucumber sandwiches and the lead ranger, kind of the films hero, has his own porch front banjo playing musical interlude as well as telling a joke to a young fawn...and then there's the tons of beautifully shot HD nature footage.

Somehow it works though. There's an air of reality about the characters, as if they are real people not shitty actors in a shitty slasher film. I love the camp fire sequence. The camera drifts in and out of conversations in a way similar to Altman's superb opening of McCabe and Mrs. Miller. .

The finale is a genuine gripper and shocking to boot. I know my single line review was jokey but it's a film i've seen twice now and will return to in the future. For example, i'd prefer to watch it over The Burning any day.

Here's my review from Christmas 2022.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Prey (1983)

A minor slasher entry that played out like a sister film to The Legend of Boggy Creek thanks to a similar soporific atmosphere created by it's almost travelogue like nature and endless shots of critters in the woods as well as beautiful countryside. That eerie ambiance is enhanced by the first half hour or so seeming like the viewer is on the periphery of things. Snippets of conversation are heard but nothing more as the camera rolls along the group of six happy campers all chatting among themselves. It's as if it weren't actually scripted... which it probably wasn't.

It takes an age for anything slashery to happen and we never see the killer until the final moments. When we do he looks very similar to an unmasked Vorhees. Thankfully his kills are bloodier than Vorhees R-rated splatter.

And then there's the wide mouthed frog tale and the greatest advert for cucumber sandwiches i've ever seen...

The Prey certainly isn't your common or garden slasher but it is different enough and hypnotic enough to hold the attention, or put you in a trance. Whichever works best really.

/ 5

The Arrow Blu-ray looks sensational.