View Single Post
Old 24th May 2024, 10:52 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Set many generations after the events in War of the Planet of the Apes, possibly in the 24th century, when humans have become feral and lost the power of speech, this film follows a group of chimpanzees who are skilled hunters and have mastered falconry.

While the leader of the group, Noa, tries to recover from a devastating attack from a rival clan, a tyrannical ape, Proximus Maximus, is building an empire. When a tragedy befalls Noa's clan and the family in attack where he is left for dead, Noa sets out to find his abducted friends.

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the Planet of the Apes reboot trilogy (Dawn, Rise, and War) several times, so went into this film with high hopes even though I'd only seen one film directed by Wes Ball, The Maze Runner.

Although this has quite remarkable visual effects which make the apes photorealistic and so lifelike that I didn't think of them as digital creations, fully accepting them as apes that can talk, ride horses, raise and train falcons ? it's amazing how easily that suspension of disbelief can take place.

I didn't think this was as engaging as the previous three Apes films, possibly because Noa isn't as strong a character as Caesar and, in terms of motion capture and voice work, Owen Teague isn't as accomplished as Andy Serkis. Kevin Durand is well cast as the antagonist because his body language and voice give Proximus Maximus real authority and menace.

In some respects, although Kingdom the Planet of the Apes is a film I didn't want, now it's made and in cinemas, I'm glad I saw it and think the next one will build on this story in an interesting world with engaging characters ? I'll almost certainly go to watch that one as well.