View Single Post
Old 7th June 2024, 05:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Q - The Winged Serpent
I can never quite work out if Cohen is satirizing classic giant monster movies or simply getting in on the act. Despite my moans about Moriarty the film is too well played, shot and produced overall to be simply classed as a knock off even if the lovely retro style monster isn't remotely scary. Although i must admit at times i was thinking "Don't New Yorker's ever look up?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
By the way, is it only me who doesn't rate Bride of Frankenstein as one of the best horror films of the 30's? It's decent yes, the first Frankenstein film is miles better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I agree with you in regards to Bride of Frankenstein. Not a patch on the first film. I mean, the brides only in it about five minutes anyway.

I barely watch it. Normally around the Halloween time when i watch Universal monster films i never opt for Bride, not when there's Frankenstein sitting there to watch.

Of those eight original Universal Monsters movies i think it's better than Phantom of the Opera but that's all. Doesn't come close to The Wolf Man, The Invisible Man, Frankenstein and the rest.

Obviously that's just my opinion. Most others seem to adore it.
I first encountered Q - The Winged Serpent on Alex Cox's Moviedrome series back in the early 90s on a double bill with Alligator. Its a film I've returned to numerous times and even though its flawed and lacks a certain something, I continually go back to it. Totally agree with Michael Moriarty though, not an actor I'm keen on anyway, and in this he plays a particularly obnoxious little weasel. Perhaps that's the point though.

As for Bride of Frankenstein, it's not half as good as it's predecessor. It's all just a tiny bit too silly and indulgent. That said I do like it very much and rate it higher than both Phantom of the Opera and in fact The Mummy when it comes to Universal Monster films.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Last edited by J Harker; 7th June 2024 at 11:57 PM.