View Single Post
Old 6th July 2024, 01:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

GRAVEYARD DISTURBANCE - Hard to believe Lamberto Bava followed classic eighties gore banger 'Demons' with this lightweight frippery. Chocolate bar thieves in a Scooby Doo van do a runner from the cops, only to be stalked through a forest by a man in wellingtons with glowing red eyes; they end up spending the night in a cursed crypt. It's obvious Lamberto was having fun here but I'm not sure how much of that transfers to the viewer. The half-baked self-referential movie gags could only ever have fallen flat even in back in 1987, and the weird undergirding that seems full of allusions to Greek myth feels too inexplicable to go anywhere. It doesn't necessarily end there, though. Clunk, bad pacing and awful dialogue might be problems for normal horror fans, but eighties / nineties Italian completists such as myself can take solace in the fact that the tedium is counterbalanced by THAT atmosphere, lots of candlelight, cobwebs and mist (it's heavily into gothic pastiche), plus a bevy of maggot faced undead and bizarre scenes like the freako family's gross out meal. Is that enough? The sane world cries "No!", but I'd probably still get it if VS or Cauldron or TV put it out.
I too rate this although it's not really one i could recommend to anyone. For years i thought it was total rubbish (To be fair it probably still is) but then one time when watching my jewel cased dvd (Remember them) it all clicked and the atmosphere, silliness and general lack of scares all came together as one hugely enjoyable mess.