View Single Post
Old 12th July 2024, 01:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE BEAST IN THE CELLAR. ( 1970 )
Beryl Reid and Flora Robson are on top form as two squabbling old biddies, ( literally ) housing a terrible secret, as a spate of murders of soldiers nearby causes local panic.
Quite talky at times, with a few splashes of blood here and there, I guess this was pointing to the latter day films such as TOWER OF EVIL and Pete Walker?s terror films, which ramped up the gore and violence.
The last time I saw this was a muddy tv ( or dvd) version where you could hardly tell what was going on at times, so this Blu Ray from 88 Films is a revelation.

SMILE ( 2022 )
A psychiatrist witnessses the gruesome suicide of one of her patients and soon uncovers a series of similar incidents.
I?m not much of a fan of modern horror - it seems full of sequels or remakes, so it?s not often I find an original one like this that hits the spot.
There is a real sense of creepiness and dread, with plenty of unexpected twists and turns. There aren?t many jump scares - there are a few, but they are integral to the story and are GOOD! One in particular ( I won?t spoiler it here ) nearly had me jumping out of my seat.
Before it results in the inevitable shit sequels, check this one out. Recommended.