View Single Post
Old 17th July 2024, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Little Giant. (1933)

When prohibition ends, mob boss and whisky baron Bugs Ahearn (Edward G Robinson) quits the racket and moves to sunny Santa Barbara with his money in a bid to go straight and break into Californian society. After being scammed by people just as unscrupulous as himself Ahearn gets his own back like only he knows how...the Chicago way.

This is absolutely terrific. Robinson has a real flair for comedy, subtle yet sending himself up wickedly. His portrayal of a fish out of water amid the wealthy classes at odds with his typical mob portrayals as he flits between the two in a series of witty and fast paced escapades.

Mary Astor, with whom i fall in love every time i watch this, provides support to Robinson and their scenes together are beautifully done, as it turns out she was also scammed by the same wealthy family.

The Little Giant appeared a year before Hollywood's new censorship code kicked in and it shows. Some of the language and situations are quite strong for the time and would never have been allowed had it been released a little later.

I think this is a wonderful film and so easy to watch as it clocks in at only 75 mins. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg little-giant_33_a.jpg (37.8 KB, 1 views)