View Single Post
Old 20th July 2024, 01:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
IMMACULATE - Sydney Sweeney plays Cecelia, an American nun about to take her vows in an Italian convent. What she finds behind closed walls justifies the title in a pretty obvious way and pulls 'Omen'-ish tropes closer to body horror. I liked 'Immaculate'. It takes on the look and feel of a contemporary upmarket horror movie but delivers something decidedly more schlocky - in other words, it doesn't forget where it's coming from. Stylistically, we get the whole 'ecclesiastical gothic' thing, with shadowy ceremonies and catacombs beneath - I don't think I've seen so many candles in a nunnery since 'Dark Waters'. The gore and graphics range from nicely decorative to quite wince inducing, although none of it's overly laboured, if you'll excuse the pun. Probably the most striking aspect, apart from a basic silliness to the overall concept that would tickle Cannon, is Sweeney's performance, which charts her voyage from repressed non-entity to full on primal church-burner. I thought they'd cop out into sentiment at the end, but no. Well worth a shot.
Sold!

I saw this was out on disc and was impressed by Sweeney in last years Rolling Stones video for Angry.