View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2024, 02:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga.

I did like this but I didn't love it, would probably award 3.5/5. There's a ton of green screen and cgi in this (and sometimes that cgi looked quite iffy). It reminds me of George Lucas' Star Wars prequels because of that, I think that's probably the last time it was employed quite so much. Things also aren't helped by (an excellent) Chris Hemsworth wearing a rather fake looking false nose.

I get that Fury Road had over 2000 cgi effects but it mostly seemed to be used to augment a lot of practical work. Fury Road looks much more real. That could also be down to the prior Mad Max movies looking more gritty than Furiosa which tends to have a bit of a sleek over polished visual look. Unfortunately the replacement lead actress also looks like a bit like a strong wind might blow her over.

Despite those strong complaints, there's still a lot of George Miller creativity on display and there are some genuinely exciting set-pieces (although unfortunately not more exciting than Fury Road). There's a road warrior character called Praetorian Jack which somewhat makes up for feeling the almost complete lack of Max. It also very probably makes for a good two parter with Fury Road.

I think the good does outweigh the bad so I will still pick up a copy next month. At first I was annoyed that Warner Bros no longer includes a blu-ray in the UK's 4K UHD packages but I've decided that I'll just be content to add a 1080p Furiosa copy to my Mad Max collection.