View Single Post
Old 5th August 2024, 06:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Gwen Stefani - Harajuku Lovers Live

A hugely enjoyable show that wouldn't surprise me if it was an inspiration to Japanese metal band Babymetal. Stefani's music is a fun and extremely lively electro pop style with various samples such as on hit single Wind it Up which uses a sample of The Lonely Goatherd from The Sound of Music. In fact Stefani's whole sound is probably best summed up by last but one song Bubble Pop Electric.

Genitorturers - Live In Sin

An actual live music performance by Gen, David Vincent etal which showcases their White Zombie inspired music rather than fetish genital torture. Enjoyable but clearly this was produced for more mass market appeal as all the sexual penetration going on was pixelated out. Song titles such as Cum Junkie, Asphyxiate, Lecher Bitch, Flesh is the Law and House of Shame probably tell you more about the band than i ever could.

Pearl Jam - Live at the Garden

A 2003 show at New York's legendary Madison Square Garden, this is three hours of Pearl Jam at their best. Pearl Jam are one of those live bands that you can dip into and probably shrug your shoulders and wonder what the big deal is, and then it clicks your ears become attuned and they become an almost perfect musical experience. Unlike the Touring Band dvd Stone Gossard takes a back seat here and it's Mike McCready who really lets rip on lead guitar. His work during Even Flow is worth the price of entry alone.

Although part of the 90's Grunge explosion Pearl Jam are more a throwback to seventies rock, more the Black Crowes than Nirvana with Eddie Vedder's soulful voice captivating the entire audience on the likes of Daughter and Faithful. Highlights of the gig include a crazed thrash through Spin the Black Circle and favourites Black and Rearviewmirror. Fine covers of the Dead Boys Sonic Reducer and The Who's Baba O'Riley bring proceedings to a fitting and triumphant close.

One of the bonus tracks Fortunate Son, a Lynyrd Skynyrd cover is a mix from various dates and showcases the sheer talent to guest with them on their tour. Johnny Marr, Billy Gibbons, Buzzcocks, Steve Earle, Ann and Nancy Wilson and Zak Starkey are the ones i remember a few days later.

Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio

Maiden headlined the 2001 festival in front of 250,000 fans, one of the biggest shows on earth, as part of their comeback Brave New World tour with Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith. I'd forgotten how gimmick free their show was back then (I saw them at Manchester Arena) using only three backdrops - Brave New World, The Trooper, The Clansman - and an Iron Maiden set closer with a Wicker Man Eddie. Meanwhile other than the backdrops the stage set seemed largely constructed of partly erected scaffolding.

No matter it's a good concert dvd and always a joy for me to see them perform The Wicker Man, Sign of the Cross, The Clansman, Ghost of the Navigator and the excellent Dream of Mirrors among their usual live staples.

Nashville Pussy - Keep on F*ckin' in Paris!

Another small scale gig for Georgia's finest, this time nailing the French capital to the wall with gnarly rock n' roll such as Struttin' Cock, Keep on F*ckin!, Fried Chicken and Coffee and a storming cover of AC/DC's Shot Down in Flames. Guitarist Ruyter Suys once again front and center the whole performance so close she could kick out at the many fans who tried to grab her ass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2095 (Large).jpg (96.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2096 (Large).jpg (97.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2097 (Large).jpg (96.2 KB, 1 views)