View Single Post
Old 10th August 2024, 12:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I *was* going to do the spin-off shows, but as you pointed out, there are a lot of people who had previously appeared in 'Doctor Who' and I didn't want to repeat their postings just to add another couple of entries so I decided against that

Instead, I though that (other than the actors in the show) the main people who make the programme work are the directors, writers and producers, so I decided to go for that

I'm discovering that there are some really interesting films that were directed by Who alumni, and that a lot of long-running television shows (science fiction and otherwise) were actually created by people with a Who connection
I was practically shocked when i watched The Possession of Joel Delaney a couple of years ago (For the first time in donkeys years) that Waris Hussein was the director, given the films content.

Another surprise was seeing the Kirk Douglas / Jean Seberg slasher Cat and Mouse produced by Beryl Virtue with music by Ron Grainer.

Having watched series like The Protectors and The Professionals in the last twelve months via their respective Network dvd box sets every other episode seemed to be either directed or written by someone with a Who connection.

Screen writers such as Don Houghton who wrote the two London set Dracula films for Hammer was never going to come up with tosh like The Time Monster for Who. His gritty Mind of Evil was far more in keeping.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 10th August 2024 at 12:14 PM.