View Single Post
Old 15th August 2024, 06:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Stephen King's Storm of the Century (1999)

A tiny Maine island community comes under siege from an icy super storm and an accompanying all knowing being with unyielding demand of "Give me what i want and i'll go away". Who or what is the mysterious man who brings terror to the community? They can shelter from the storm but they can't escape him.

A truly excellent original Stephen King story, for once not an adaptation of a novel or story but exclusively for this tv mini series. Even though it clocks in at a bum numbing four and a quarter hours Storm of the Century is compulsive viewing and seemingly without much in the way of padding. The story is tight and delightfully acted by all concerned especially the wonderful Colm Feore as the mysterious stranger Andre Linoge, with the striking walking cane reminiscent of Larry Talbot's in Universal's The Wolf Man (Not a spoiler by the way. Linoge is no werewolf). He exudes an air of malevolent power and strength throughout and grips the viewer whenever he is on screen in a brilliantly chilling performance.

The 255 minute length allows the story to breath and gives all the characters well rounded personalities. It's in these sections where you'd expect the padding and the pacing to flag but both King and director Craig R. Baxley do a terrific job of keeping you involved in proceedings, never letting the story slide, whilst always edging the tension up a notch.

With an ending of unnerving tension you won't expect or see coming, Storm of the Century is brilliant stuff and for me ranks among the best of King's work.

Highly recommended.
This one doesn't seem readily available anymore. I remember it coming out on DVD and being quite cheap in MVC years ago. I never bothered.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk