View Single Post
Old 28th August 2024, 12:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

DIE MONSTER DIE! ( 1965 )
A scientist arrives in the English village of Arkham to visit his fianc?e.
On arrival, after several warnings from locals, he discovers her father ( played by Boris Karloff ) is conducting strange experiments in his basement, while his disfigured wife hides away in her bedroom.

One of the first horror movies I ever saw on tv ( on my Aunt?s old black and white telly ! ). Watching it again after all these years on BFI?s lush new Blu Ray, it?s amazing to see how COLOURFUL it is!

Based on HP Lovecraft?s The Colour Out Of Space, whose work is notoriously difficult to film ( if you have read his stories, you?ll understand why ). I think this is a good stab at it, with creepy atmosphere and gruesome effects. Karloff?s eventual emergence as a silver faced monster has come in for criticism, but I still find it eerily effective. An underrated 60s gem, in my opinion.

ABSURD. ( 1981 )
George Eastman stars as a strange superhuman killer, being chased by a priest determined to stop the killings. The gory murders pile up, however, culminating in the attempted killing of a girl confined to her bed via some bizarre apparatus.

This film, along with ANTHROPOPHAGOUS THE BEAST, were legendary ?nasties? back in the day. Although ANTHRO has its moments, I?ve always thought ABSURD was the more consistently entertaining of the two.

Wonderful looking 4k ( with loads of extras ) from 88 Films.