View Single Post
Old 6th September 2024, 11:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
They can make films as good as they used to, they just don't. Much of the time the stuff that fills our multiplexes is just here today gone tomorrow popcorn fodder. Especially since Covid everything seems to have dumbed down.

Whilst there are a few excellent films that hit multiplexes in recent years such as Top Gun Maverick and Oppenheimer (Going off word of mouth and critical opinion here as i still haven't seen it) there certainly are nowhere near as many as the 90's which for me was the last truly great decade for cinema. In fact far superior to the 80's.
I agree with 90s being the last decade for good cinema, I used to go quite often years ago, but not much grabs me enough now to go, but I am going to go and watch the new Beetlejuice film,
Me personally I can't stand and despise all this Micheal Bay style film making playing up to the audience with how much crash bang wallop more Boom Ott unbelievable action than you can shake a shitty stick at, driving along a falling rope bridge, driving off the edge of a cliff into nowhere to be saved by a magnetic plane it just gets ridiculous and soulless at least films yrs ago with Ott action had some sense of realism, today's is just daft it's ridiculous if ppl want soulless popcorn garbage then fair play but me I'm out. Just more and more films are going that way these days, yrs ago when making a sequel they just made it today they trying to see how much further they can go than the last one in action, violence, gore, etc etc
There's not many films since 2000 have several repeat viewings to me, but films like
kes
Jason and argonauts
Jaws
The warriors
Scum
Westworld
Wizard of oz
And plenty of films could watch all day long over and over again.

Now when flicking through prime, Netflix ordinary tv I struggle to find anything enough to grab without constantly wasting time flicking through.

Last edited by gag; 6th September 2024 at 11:59 AM.