View Single Post
Old Today, 01:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
I watched it a couple of months ago for the first time and immediately put it at the very bottom of Carpenter titles. He doesn't seem invested in it at all and appears that, as a Director, he's just marking time. To be fair, it's hampered by a script that slavishly follows the original with no invention of it's own. But you would think Carpenter would have realised this and added more of his own stamp. Maybe he just loved the original too much? Missed opportunity imho...
Although i'd class John Carpenter as my favourite genre director there are some definite misfires along the way. I don't know if it's because of the failure of The Thing but he seemed to become a director for hire for the major studios rather than a genuine creative talent on some of his output from 1983 to the end of the nineties. Some of the films are very much John Carpenter films but others like Village of the Damned, Starman (Not a misfire but definitely not a baby of Carpenters despite it's success) and Memoirs of an Invisible Man he seemingly just turned up to direct rather than have any great input into their creation.