View Single Post
Old 8th October 2024, 03:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

GHOST NURSING - HK (though Bangkok-set) horror from the black magic eighties heyday. If you've seen many of those, you'll kind of know the drill - backstory about a curse or an esoteric tradition, beleaguered protagonist enlists sorcerer / shaman, battle magic blow out with lots of cheap optical effects and at some point, someone will barf maggots. All I can say is, show me a skull with laser eyes and I'm yours. I like what 'Ghost Nursing' does with sound, taking various well known eighties horror film music snippets and loosely re-doing them over a blissed out synth score backdrop - I could hear little scraps of the la la-la-la la-la la bit from 'A Nightmare On Elm Street' and some breathy echo chamber electronics that could only have been nabbed from k-k-k-k- 'Friday The 13th'. And that's 'Ghost Nursing' all over really, a magpie potpourri of ghost house props and genre tropes livened up by patches of scalp-ripping silliness and inspired moments such as the one when an office fills with ghostly children. 'Wacky' is the word, though despite an occasional lightness, it does not dally much with the slapstick that can sometimes dull the edges of its ilk. Really liked.