View Single Post
Old 8th October 2024, 06:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 6th

Re-Animator (1985)

A combination of producer Brian Yuzna, director Stuart Gordon and unknown star Jeffrey Combs, effectively came along with this film loosely based on the 1922 H. P. Lovecraft story Herbert West - Reanimator, and basically er' re-animated the horror genre with a slice of exploitation which took hugely effective looking gore and Barbara Crampton's sexiness to new levels of depravity.

Often imitated, never bettered. A bona-fide classic.

Dead Scared (aka The Hazing) (2004)

Its Halloween night and five wannabe frat members (Including the likable duo of Tiffany Shepis and Perry Shen) are given the challenge of spending the night in a supposedly haunted house. Unfortunately for our young friends one of them becomes possessed by the evil spirit of a half dead professor played by Brad Dourif. A half dead professor who is trying to open portals to another dimension, and he doesn't care if a few teenagers are murdered along the way.

The films opening third consists of high school dares and pranks which maybe, surprisingly don't seem out of place and work well in the context of the movie whilst allowing us to get to know the characters as they attempt to fulfill every obligation so as to become members of the fraternity. Then we get into full on Night of the Demons mode and a loving concoction of scares, gore and sex as well as outright fun.

The special effects for a no-budget film are very good, ranging from the gooey (scary long tongue cunnilingus) to some fine bloody kills. In fact the production as a whole is quite good, always looking impressive despite its low cost.

One of my Halloween go-to films. I swore i wasn't going to rewatch it this year for a change. See how quickly that idea went out the window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Re-Animator (1997).jpg (93.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00511.jpg (35.1 KB, 4 views)