View Single Post
Old 5th August 2010, 02:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Or don't trailers have to be licensed..? I don't know, which is why I ask the question. And were these trailers sourced from proper film sources or from old VHS tapes?
Hey Chris,

Seeing as no one answered this I'll give it a go

Basically, trailers are considered public domain. I know that if it's pre-1976 trailers you can use them to your heart's content. For anything after that I *think* it's fair game too, although I'd not like to wager my bets with something like Avatar!! Plus, there's the "fair use" policy, which is pretty wide reaching.

The well known trailer DVDs such as 42nd Street Forever and Marc's own Grindhouse trailer discs won't need, therefore, to cover licensing costs as far as I know (which is why trailer discs are probably so commonplace - isn't 42nd Street Forver up to volume six or seven?). So for people who don't own the discs that carry these trailers, it's a good introduction to exploitation lore. Same deal with a disc full of nasty trailers. Don't own the movies that the trailers are on? Here's your introduction...

As for me... I'll be getting this disc for the documentary because I really want to support Jake's work and the work of indie labels like Nucleus. Jake is also a great guy and I think it's awesome that he's going back to his roots and doing a doc on the nasties. Sure to be absolutely fantastic!

One question though - over the past year the UK has seen attendance from Lamberto Bava, Ruggero Deodato, Catriona MacColl, HG Lewis, Matt Cimber, Giovanni Radice, David Hess, Tom Savini, John Saxon, Dario Argento and Claudio Simonetti - whilst living on these isles are James Kenelm Clarke, Linda Hayden, Richard Johnson, Francesca Ciardi and Ian McCulloch.

Did you never want to get these names involved in "introducing" the trailers?

You only needed to ask

However, great cover art from Graham Humphries, a good looking documentary and seems like a package most fans of the era will find irresistable.

Last edited by Calum; 5th August 2010 at 06:15 PM.