LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2010, 09:54 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead0303 View Post
Yay, I've got my Blu-ray (don't tell Arrow )
I think you'll be impressed with it. It looks fantastic.
Old 10th September 2010, 12:09 PM
Cultist in Training

Okay, I've finished watching the Blu-ray now, as well as the new extras, so here are my thoughts about that and more (warning, many of you on this forum won't like some of it, I've read most of the older posts on here since I joined and I know how some fanboy types react when people don't just sycophantically love everything like they do, but I actually have an independent brain and can think for myself and I'm proud of it lol)

I’ve read a couple of things online about the difference in the colour palette used for various releases of this film, about which is right and which is wrong, or at least closest to the intended look originally (would’ve been nice if Dario had been asked about this). Directly comparing the Arrow Blu-ray to the Anchor Bay DVD, the picture difference is definitely much better, as you’d expect for an HD release. The picture’s lovely and the colours vibrant. I can’t imagine anyone would have any complaints about it, at least not until someone else releases a Blu-ray and the two can be compared. Certainly no one on this forum will complain, it’s a definite upgrade, no doubt.

Then the sound... well, actually I think with this viewing I’ve maybe finally put my finger on why (or at least the main reason) I get distracted watching this movie and have never really been able to get into it; it’s the soundtrack, which for the most part is truly awful (not the actual theme tune, which I love). I find that random overstated piano nonsense really irritating. So maybe the sound’s so good on this Blu-ray, in fact too good, that it’s finally brought it home to me why I struggle a bit with this one. I know I’m in the minority, but Inferno doesn’t even make my Argento top 10! Which doesn’t mean I don’t like it or rate it low, just that I rate a lot of others very highly.

The packaging is okay and the importance of having a choice of covers has never been illustrated better as it has with this release, as the new artwork is, frankly, horrendous. The odd thing is, that after initially buying two of Arrow’s Blu-rays then finding this site I was so impressed at the pictures of the poster artwork for the other releases that was the primary reason I bought the rest with the intention of displaying them. But now I’ve got them at hand, I just don’t feel they’re good enough to frame and display. I’ve found that most are okay cover size, but not poster size. A couple of the postcards are nice and I think instead of posters the new artwork should maybe be that size too, and use only original artwork for the posters instead, some of which I would then be happy to frame and display.

As for the new extras (I’m sure most people will have the older ones already), I’m pretty under whelmed, but then again to be honest I have been with just about all of them on these Arrow releases, especially the interviews. Sorry if that huffs Calum but unlike a few on here I’m not going to say something’s good when it isn’t (and actually, before they’ve even seen it and it’s only been announced). Going off past posts no doubt some idiot will now start jumping up and down like a child and rant at me that I shouldn’t be on this forum if I’m going to say stuff like that, but I’ve now paid my hard-earned money buying all but one Arrow Films release so I reckon I’m entitled to my opinion whether you like it or not, so save your breath (figuratively speaking).
Old 10th September 2010, 12:21 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Everyone is entitled to their opinin Pinhead and I'm not going to rant . If I didn't like the extras on the discs, I wouldn't blow smoke up Arrows arse and say I liked them. Personally speaking, I like a good interview. I'll even sit and watch a 40min subtitled interview on a Hong Kong Legends dvd. If everyone loved every release and always agreed,forums like these would be a pretty boring place with no real discussions or debates.
Old 10th September 2010, 12:50 PM
Cultist in Training

Oh I don't mind interviews, I just haven't been too impressed with a few I've watched. But despite that, I'm still happy to have this Blu-ray and will continue to buy more. I appreciate that Arrow are trying to accomodate us here with niche titles so I'll keep supporting them whether I like the covers and extras or not, as long as the feature presentation is good, I'll be happy enough. Oh and as for the ranters, I didn't name names
Old 10th September 2010, 12:54 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead0303 View Post
Oh and as for the ranters, I didn't name names
I know, but If it was me and I got a quick response to my post, I would have expected a rant.
Old 10th September 2010, 01:01 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

My copy arrived today!

I'm going to watch it tonight - looking forward to it.
Old 10th September 2010, 01:13 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
I know, but If it was me and I got a quick response to my post, I would have expected a rant.

lol, I don't recall you ranting in the stuff I've read. With a bit of luck any of those who are likely to will be too embarassed to try it now anyway
Old 10th September 2010, 01:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Good honest review Pin .... I hope mine is on the doorstep when I get home this evening.

You are not alone with the soundtrack Pin ... I don't really like it either ... other than the Verdi track which is stunning!

I agree on the artwork too .. Rick's worst. But unfortunately it's for Arrow's bigger releases. Oh well, each to their own I guess.
Old 10th September 2010, 02:26 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
Good honest review Pin .... I hope mine is on the doorstep when I get home this evening.

You are not alone with the soundtrack Pin ... I don't really like it either ... other than the Verdi track which is stunning!

I agree on the artwork too .. Rick's worst. But unfortunately it's for Arrow's bigger releases. Oh well, each to their own I guess.

Glad it's not just me! Maybe it's testament to what they've done with the soundtrack this time round because it's the first time I've been able to pinpoint a possible reason why I've never appreciated this film as much as others. I tended to find myself drifting away from it and getting irritated by the music instead of focussing on the visuals. I think next time I watch it I'll just put the sound down low, or even off, and put the subs on and see if I can get into it that way. It does now make me wonder more than ever what difference Goblin would've made to Inferno.
Old 10th September 2010, 04:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Oh no ... guys ... I came home from work tonight and there was a fire in my porch! In fact it was an Inferno ... a blue one!!! Yipppppeeeee!

Again, stunning bundle from Arrow. Can't wait to watch it over the weekend!

Still don't like the artwork tho!

Like this? Share it using the links below!