Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2011, 07:31 PM
Cult Rookie

I'm also getting nervous now... Not because of the "B&W vs. Sepia" thing actually, simply because the release is so near. Cancelling my pre-order was never an option for me, the new DVD/Blu-ray has just too much to offer...

Not that I don't have "enough" DVDs of this film already, but I was always waiting for a transfer that had more complete picture information and framing - all I checked so far were more or less cropped.

Any additional Extras feat. Lady MacColl are a good point as well. Also curious on how "Sarah Keller" looks today.

Plus the Italian title and credits, of course, are a cool thing. Wondering if there actually was any DVD before that had the Italian credits? Last year I bought the Italian DVD, just to find it only said "The Beyond" there again (and the quality isn't very good there).

As Arrow have fixed the B&W mistake, there hopefully won't be much on the forthcoming DVD/Blu-ray that may disappoint. Except maybe it wouldn't be a complete version of the film. Okay, okay, relax.

Well, has there already been any post or Link where a screencap from the corrected Arrow pre-title-sequence can be seen? Just to see how the colour looks now. What colour tone exactly was used in the final product... is it the "Golden yellow" Salvati had in mind, or some orange/brown/Sepia tone?
Old 18th March 2011, 07:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

I have a B&W one, just wondering how do I get a replacement? other then that its a brilliant release
Old 18th March 2011, 09:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

All the answers can be found here:
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/beyo...ns-policy.html
Old 23rd March 2011, 04:39 PM
Cult Rookie

Mine arrived a bit belated, opening sequence also in B&W. So I'm still curious for the corrected monochrome version, may it be in Sepia or Golden Yellow.

Checked the film and it looks uncut to me, I didn't feel like anything was missing. Even the first HOTEL sign shot is there.

Plus the nicest "framing" I saw so far. I thought it might be of some interest to people to actually see how much "More Beyond" they get from Arrow.

A few screencaps from the same shot are attached below, in the following order:

1. Anchor Bay / Grindhouse US-DVD(s)
2. Italian, French, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish DVDs (from the same master)
3. Arrow Video DVD

It's especially fun to directly compare them. Download the pics and switch back-and-forth between the Anchor Bay and Arrow one, there's quite some "Zoom" effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beyond01_us.jpg (92.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg beyond02_dk.jpg (79.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg beyond03_uk.jpg (82.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 23rd March 2011, 05:23 PM
Cultist

Well from those screenshots the Anchor Bay wins easy! Hope the blu-ray rocks though!
Old 23rd March 2011, 06:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Arrow wins hands down, soooooo much clearer

EDIT: Just looked at them all a bit closer and Arrow's is a little washed out.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html

Last edited by antmumford; 23rd March 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 23rd March 2011, 06:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Arrow wins hands down, soooooo much clearer
I think Arrow is too clearer... but pictures are not a perfect example for take a statement.
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:04 PM
Cult Rookie

More picture information on Arrow's for sure, and in some ways color is better. AB is blown out on the top right, and the blacks are a little crushed, loosing detail in the tress. Arrow's leaves are actually green as opposed to off-black, the sky blue instead of blooming white. But I think overall it's too bright, loosing some atmosphere and washing out details on the house, willows, etc. Tough call.

Last edited by Snatcher42; 23rd March 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:14 PM
Cultist

Look at the red cars fender! In the Arrow release its all jagged.
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:48 PM
Cult Rookie

Is it not too early to call such a thing as we have yet to see the full quality version from Arrow?

Like this? Share it using the links below!