Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2012, 01:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I've had this for ages and still haven't watched it, only the extras. Is it really that bad?
Its not as bad as some have made out but there are some definate issues with it. It's always been a 'brightly lit film' and this seems to show up a few problems, also the weird 'noise' is very noticeable in places.
Old 13th October 2012, 02:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Its not as bad as some have made out but there are some definate issues with it. It's always been a 'brightly lit film' and this seems to show up a few problems, also the weird 'noise' is very noticeable in places.
I might give it a spin this weekend
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th October 2012, 02:41 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
I've had this for ages and still haven't watched it, only the extras. Is it really that bad?
Slightly off-topic, but here you are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
A couple of days ago, I said that I would comment on the technical aspects of Arrow's Tenebrae release. (Note: I am an amateur when it comes to technical jargon – but I’ve watched a huge number of films. I am no high definition freak – but I enjoy good AV quality.) I use the KISS method – keep things short and simple. Here you are.

TENEBRAE

PQ: 7.5 out of 10 points. There are quite a few visual merits of this Arrow release. Sharpness and contrast are not perfect, but nothing to worry about either - it's not a movie from 2011. The colours look great – natural skin tones, no colour casts. The biggest pro of this release: its brightness. Luciano Tovoli, the film’s cinematographer, once stated that Argento wanted Tenebrae to look very clean and bright (see booklet for more info) – maybe Dario wanted a contrast to the film’s title? However, that’s what you get: a bright picture, but still with a natural look. I sometimes change the settings of my TV in order to improve the picture - this was not necessary with this release. So why only 7.5 out of 10? Well – call it “strange looking grain” or “digital noise”, but that’s what you’ll have to deal with throughout the movie. It does not look like real film grain, but more like the consequences of some digital treatment. It’s quite obvious for the first thirty minutes – afterwards, it’s getting a lot better; some of the last shots (I especially remember the rainy scene at the end in the car) look really great.
/// The picture quality of this release is definitely not perfect - but it’s not in the least as bad as some reviewers make us believe. I was not overwhelmed, but quite satisfied with the picture. ///

AQ: 7.5 out of 10 points. The dialogues are clear, although there are some slight variations of loudness. Soundtrack and sound effects are powerful and well-balanced. So why only 7.5 out of 10? First, there are two very (and I’d like to stress that: very) short moments of asynchronicity – nothing to whine about, but nothing do deny either. Second, the score by members of Goblin sounds powerful – but it’s also a little bit rough from time to time, forcing the speakers to sound a bit tinny. I also took into account that some members here complained about having some trouble with their rear speakers.
/// Again, the sound is not perfect – but it is more than adequate. I also liked the fact that the movie is presented in its faithful original Mono mix. ///

Extras: 9 out of 10 points. As usual, the extras are very nice. I especially liked the interview with Daria Nicolodi. It’s always a pleasure to see and hear her pulling Dario’s leg without humiliating him. The Goblin extra’s a little gem - but see and listen for yourself. As for the packaging: the usual Arrow treatment. 4 nice sleeves, slip case, booklet, and poster.
/// Great as usual – nothing to complain about. I would have loved to hear more from Luciano Tovoli, though. ///

It is a nice package after all. Yes, there are some issues with the picture – but it is worth every penny all the same. Recommended.

Greetings!
Old 13th October 2012, 02:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thanks for that PV, aside from the fact I'd only recently watched it DVD before the Arrow BD was in a play.com sale, I think I have been put off watching it because of the bad reviews, same reason why I only bought HBTC last week too. I think I need to stop taking other peoples opinions as gospel and trying stuff out for myself to make my own judgement, same argument when it comes to screencaps.
Anyway, back on topic, according to Arrow they've only sold about 400 copies of the LE slipcase edition of ZFE, I wonder if it's the £17.99 price tag that's put some people off? I thought it would've sold out long ago. I for one am really looking forward to this release, I did have the DVD, standard BD, Steelbook and the LE BD on order but I've decided that was a bit daft so I've cancelled the DVD now and may cancel the standard BD too and stick with the other 2 editions, roll on next month!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th October 2012, 11:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Thanks for that PV, aside from the fact I'd only recently watched it DVD before the Arrow BD was in a play.com sale, I think I have been put off watching it because of the bad reviews, same reason why I only bought HBTC last week too. I think I need to stop taking other peoples opinions as gospel and trying stuff out for myself to make my own judgement, same argument when it comes to screencaps.
Anyway, back on topic, according to Arrow they've only sold about 400 copies of the LE slipcase edition of ZFE, I wonder if it's the £17.99 price tag that's put some people off? I thought it would've sold out long ago. I for one am really looking forward to this release, I did have the DVD, standard BD, Steelbook and the LE BD on order but I've decided that was a bit daft so I've cancelled the DVD now and may cancel the standard BD too and stick with the other 2 editions, roll on next month!
I'm also amazed that the limited edition version of ZFE hasn't sold out yet!

Oh and in my view TENEBRAE really is that bad!! But I can honestly say I haven't been disappointed with any of Arrow's other BDs (though I haven't seen FRANKENHOOKER or CALIGULA)

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 13th October 2012, 11:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
I'm also amazed that the limited edition version of ZFE hasn't sold out yet!

Oh and in my view TENEBRAE really is that bad!! But I can honestly say I haven't been disappointed with any of Arrow's other BDs (though I haven't seen FRANKENHOOKER or CALIGULA)
Haven't watched Caligula yet, but Frankenhooker looks amazing
Old 14th October 2012, 07:17 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Haven't watched Caligula yet, but Frankenhooker looks amazing
Yeah, frankenhooker, maniac cop and exterminator are some of the best transfers they put out, in each case (slightly) better looking than their synapse cousins. I usually point these releases out to critics as reasons why it's not entirely arrows fault when a release is dissapointing.
Old 14th October 2012, 07:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

I'm glad I have (apparently) low standards when it comes to picture quality - must get frustrating when (apparently) every other release looks AWFUL . . .
Old 14th October 2012, 09:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

What does the Caligula Blu look like ? I'd like to upgrade my old Danish DVD...
Old 14th October 2012, 11:38 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I'm glad I have (apparently) low standards when it comes to picture quality - must get frustrating when (apparently) every other release looks AWFUL . . .
In the age of the internet, where anyone who has seen a film is a critic and everyone has a voice it must be difficult for anyone who fancies themselves a skilled critic to get heard on the web. A lot of 'critics' online ten to do the spinal tap thing with critisism and turn it up to 11 in order to try and get noticed. Hence, when a blu-ray release has problems it becomes a 'travesty' that said critic will then bore us about for several hundred (nay thousand) venomous words about how incompetent the releasing company is for daring to release such a 'sub-standard' title onto the market. Half these people would never get a gig reviewing stuff for any real publication (in fact one scribe linked me his blog where he pretty much stated at the start he'd been turned down by all the mainstream publishers) and as a critic, slamming stuff is so much easier to do than prasing it.

I never felt any arrow titles were awful, but there have been some major and minor errors (BWTCP widescreen, tenebrae, Beyond b + W, HBTC) along the way, but as a collector whose been buying stuff for years, experience has told me often enough another re-issue is never far away so I tend to avoid getting worked up over these things like some folk online.
Rik, Slippery Jack, Wes and 1 others like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!