Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2012, 10:36 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Sorry, but that's crazy. Getting 3 openings doesn't justify a single second of missing footage, no matter what it is.

As far as i'm concerned, 6 missing seconds is 6 missing seconds, doesn't matter if it's a boat going across the screen, or gore. So to everyone who saying it's not important, I'll remind you all the next time you complain that a film has a few seconds of violence missing, that it doesn't matter.

Although the missing footage doesn't concern me I would take any amount of footage over 3 different titles.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:39 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Extras mean absolutely nothing to me compared to the film itself. A flawed version of a film is not made up for by extras of any kind.

Sorry to rile anyone, I just prefer my films complete. And that outweighs any tiny leap in detail resolution.

Zombi 2
looking like an EC comic? Sounds like the perfect approach to me. No wonder the film's actual cinematographer went that way.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:40 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's the fact that is some of the footage straight after the titles that makes me think it's not the way the negative was supplied, but rather, a mistake.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I wouldn't be surprised if it was missing from the negative, because I really can't imagine after spending all the time, money and effort to make this best presentation ever available on home video that they'd risk ruining it all by deliberately chopping out those few seconds.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 30th December 2012, 10:43 AM
Active Cultist

Does no one here have the DVD to check against?

I've looked at my Blu Ray in detail this morning and, as mentioned earlier, the video just does not exist so the branching can't be the problem.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
What if Arrow came out and said it was due to a damaged negative. Would that forgive it?

I know that the Burial Grounds blu ray is missing about 2 minutes of footage, comprised of a few frames from almost every shot due to splice damage.
BEYOND THE DARKNESS is also missing a some footage compared to the DVD.

Interestingly, BEYOND THE DARKNESS, BG: THE NIGHTS OF TERROR and ZFE are/were all owned by the same licensor...

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 30th December 2012, 10:46 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Ok, I've asked James White (who did the restoration) on twitter, if he knows what happened. Just need to wait and see what he says.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:49 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it was missing from the negative, because I really can't imagine after spending all the time, money and effort to make this best presentation ever available on home video that they'd risk ruining it all by deliberately chopping out those few seconds.
Yeah, that's how I see it.

It is also the best "benefit of the doubt" one can come up with!
Pete likes this.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:51 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolahrock View Post
Does no one here have the DVD to check against?

I've looked at my Blu Ray in detail this morning and, as mentioned earlier, the video just does not exist so the branching can't be the problem.
If the footage was there when there was no branching, and someone's made a mistake and removed those seconds while doing the branching, then "technically" the branching IS the problem.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:54 AM
Seasoned Cultist

But if it is missing from the negative, then the point is that Arrow did not choose to cut it. It's not their decision and they've done well with what they were given. They could not very well breach their agreement by using materials not supplied by their licensor. Look at the region coding - Arrow had to lock, but BU chose to go region free.

Arrow can't win whatever way you look at it - the restoration is immaculate and consistent, but the six seconds is a problem.

Get the six seconds from BU - it's a typical DNR mess as we've seen before.

Edit - here's another thing to consider if it is missing from the neg. Do we know for certain that the boat sequence is not actually meant to be a deleted scene, rather than a part of the film?
fuzzymctiger likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!