Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2013, 08:06 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
Yep, loved it. Posted about it in one of the other threads.

'Zombie Flesh Eaters' - First time viewing, for me. Really didn't know what to expect, and I was pretty much blown away! A couple of things really surprised me - how strong on story it was, not that it was a challenging plot or anything, but it always felt like telling the story was the most important thing.
A couple of scenes were real stand outs, to me - the 'feasting' scene, the dead rising from the graveyard, and the lone zombie walking down the village road, with the crab scuttling across in front of him. Also loved the audio - drums beating in the background, the moaning of the zoms etc.
My only complaint: the picture was so good that it showed up the makeup limitations - rotting faces not matching their bodies, rotting corpses with normal hands etc. Not really a problem though, not for me anyway.
So glad I shelled out for the steelbook! Awesome release Arrow.

As you can probably tell, I knew nothing about the missing six seconds when I posted this.
Luckily you havent missed anything important. If it had been then the s***storm would have been even bigger.
Old 5th January 2013, 08:23 AM
Cult Addict

For a first time viewing you'd never know there was anything missing mate. Hell a lot missed it to start with. And I have to say even missing the few seconds the arrow blu is still the best way to see the movie for the first time in my opinion. What did you make of the shark attack? Blew my bonce when I first saw that.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Going to give my Arrow version a watch sometime today as it's been a while since i watched the BU release, really looking forward to it.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Going to give my Arrow version a watch sometime today as it's been a while since i watched the BU release, really looking forward to it.
Despite the missing 6 seconds, it really is a fantastic release and like I've already said the only way I will watch the film in HD from now on. I noticed a lot more stuff that I hadn't seen when watching previous releases, including the BU BD, which I still think is a good release.
Daemonia and tele1962 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th January 2013, 10:16 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnToZero View Post
I don't understand how people can prefer BU's release. Yes, 6 sec is gone but thank God there's not 91 mins of DNR.
Watching the BU release right now.

I don't know if any of my AV equipment has some magic software to counter DNR or add fake grain and detail, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this transfer that I can see.

There is more than enough 35mm grain on display (possibly a tiny bit too much for my tastes in shots of daytime sky) and the detail is impeccable, and the image free of artifacting.

The Blue Underground release is exemplary so far as I am concerned.

I will be happy to reassess this should Arrow's corrected version ever see the light of day at a bargain price, because as I see it there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON (for me) to buy another BD version of this film. Not even for the tiny amount of extra frame at either side (though if anything could persuade me, it is this).

This is just my personal view. All I can presume is that unless a transfer looks like it was shot through a swarm of fruit flies, some people are never going to be happy with Blu-Ray.
Old 5th January 2013, 10:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Watching the BU release right now.

I don't know if any of my AV equipment has some magic software to counter DNR or add fake grain and detail, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this transfer that I can see.

There is more than enough 35mm grain on display (possibly a tiny bit too much for my tastes in shots of daytime sky) and the detail is impeccable, and the image free of artifacting.

The Blue Underground release is exemplary so far as I am concerned.

I will be happy to reassess this should Arrow's corrected version ever see the light of day at a bargain price, because as I see it there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON (for me) to buy another BD version of this film. Not even for the tiny amount of extra frame at either side (though if anything could persuade me, it is this).

This is just my personal view. All I can presume is that unless a transfer looks like it was shot through a swarm of fruit flies, some people are never going to be happy with Blu-Ray.
I sought of agree here.

When i first watched the BU disc, the detail WAS impeccable.

But im going to make a new word here, and the Arrow release is impeccabler.
Daemonia and Gojirosan like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 5th January 2013, 10:32 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I like "impeccabler"!

The screencaps I have seen of the Arrow transfer do look superb.

But not any kind of a drastic enough improvement enough to make me buy it.

I would be interested to borrow it from someone to watch it in motion, I must admit.

Genuine non-sarky question: did people who bought the Arrow BD releases of Cemetery Of The Living Dead and House By The Cemetery subsequently buy the Blue Underground releases because of the improved image quality?
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 5th January 2013, 10:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

When BU's disc came out I thought I'd never see the film look so good, then I watched Arrows and was blown away by how much better it is, I'd suggest renting it or like you say, borrowing it and comparing the 2. That way, you will see what we mean.
Daemonia and fuzzymctiger like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th January 2013, 10:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I like "impeccabler"!

The screencaps I have seen of the Arrow transfer do look superb.

But not any kind of a drastic enough improvement enough to make me buy it.

I would be interested to borrow it from someone to watch it in motion, I must admit.

Genuine non-sarky question: did people who bought the Arrow BD releases of CITY Of The Living Dead and House By The Cemetery subsequently buy the Blue Underground releases because of the improved image quality?
(Fixed the above for you )

If you're not a big extras person, then its probably best to wait until its cheap.

If you're an original look fanatic, this release restores the original colour scheme, has natural grain/no DNR, and better detail in dark scene. Also, the extra frame information as mentioned.

Im keeping the BU disc, because i like the slipcover, has different extras, and the blood looks a lot better on that disc.

Also, Im not a big enough fan of COTLD or HBTC to buy the BU discs, but im looking into their Deep Red, as apparently its better.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 5th January 2013, 10:53 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
(Fixed the above for you )

If you're not a big extras person, then its probably best to wait until its cheap.

If you're an original look fanatic, this release restores the original colour scheme, has natural grain/no DNR, and better detail in dark scene. Also, the extra frame information as mentioned.
Sorry - wishful thinking. I crave a release of Cemetery of The Living Dead!

It looks too light and washed out to me. Maybe this is the original "look", I am not sure. but the darker slightly more saturated BU transfer as okayed by Salvati resembles the mastering of every previous video and DVD release I have seen. Only with much better detail etc. Sadly, I never got to see it at a premium cinema screening with a new print as I was only 9 in 1979!

Perhaps I just don't rate Zombi 2 enough to care as much as every one else? Meh, who knows?

My mischievous mind is toying with replacing the Arrow version of House and City with the BU versions though!

I remember thinking Arrow's Deep Red looked OK. What was up with it?

Like this? Share it using the links below!