Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2551Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2024, 12:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I?m currently about 125 pages into the latest Bret Easton Ellis book, The Shards, on my kindle. I?m really enjoying it.

Semi-autobiographical and set in 1981 L.A. during the last year of high school for Bret but something sinister is happening in the city with home invasions and girls going missing.

It?s starting to get exciting and quite mysterious. Giving just enough to have you wanting more, just not giving anything away though just yet.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th June 2024, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I started You Like it Darker this evening. The latest collection of stories from Stephen King.

I always begin a book very slowly and indeed did so tonight reading just 25 pages in three quarters of an hour as i savour each word and lose myself in the prose. I speed up considerably as i get into books.

Those 25 pages consisted of the first chapter of Two Talented Bastids. The opening sixty page novella of the piece. it's basically scene setting so far and getting into the mind of the titular characters. As usual King's scene setting is of meticulous quality.

Danny Coughlin's Bad Dream is the second novella that amounts to 150 pages - almost the length of King's first book Carrie.

I shall be leaving the 85 page Rattlesnakes until after i have read Cujo, which i picked up earlier this year, as it's a sequel to that story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2014 (Large).jpg (96.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 30th June 2024, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Really enjoying You Like it Darker.

Ideal to read a story (or part of one) in the half hour following the conclusion of the football.

The novella Danny Coughlin's Bad Dream was terrific.

150 pages and it captured me immediately. A gripping story of a man who dreamed he found a girls body buried out of town. Decides the dream was way too real so goes to look and there it is. He calls the police and then the shit really hits the fan.

Of the seven i've read there hasn't been a bad one at all. Just five more to go, including three more novellas.
Old 17th August 2024, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I read Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption this week. One quart of Stephen King's Different Seasons book.

The film from Frank Darabont is hugely faithful to the story even at two and a half hours long. The novella is just over 100 pages.

The story takes place across decades of prison life so as you can imagine much is skipped over in the prose across that 100 pages with only certain events looked at in detail.

I sorted my King novels out last weekend and collected them all together in one place. I had no idea i had two copies of Different Seasons.

I'll let myself off though seeing as they have two wildly different covers and differing titles too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2154 (Large).jpg (93.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 17th August 2024, 11:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I read Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption this week. One quart of Stephen King's Different Seasons book.

The film from Frank Darabont is hugely faithful to the story even at two and a half hours long. The novella is just over 100 pages.

The story takes place across decades of prison life so as you can imagine much is skipped over in the prose across that 100 pages with only certain events looked at in detail.

I sorted my King novels out last weekend and collected them all together in one place. I had no idea i had two copies of Different Seasons.

I'll let myself off though seeing as they have two wildly different covers and differing titles too.
I have the one on the right. If I remember rightly it also contains The Langoliers? One of my favourite of Kings works. The TV movie is great and I actually thought the story was even better. I think Apt Pupil and The Body are the other two in that book.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 18th August 2024, 03:41 AM
Cult Addict

The other story in Different seasons is The Breathing method, think Langoliers is in four past midnight.
Demdike@Cult Labs and Rob4 like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 18th August 2024, 07:43 AM
Cult Veteran

Different Seasons is an excellent book, all 4 stories are great! Apt Pupil particularly is very unnerving.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th August 2024, 12:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Here's my newly dedicated Stephen King book case. The entire Dark Tower series are behind the ones you can see on the top shelf.

The books used to be everywhere. At least now they are housed together. Just need to do the same with James Herbert, Clive Barker, John Grisham, Shaun Hutson, John Connolly, David Eddings, Richard Laymon etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2155 (Large).JPG (82.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2157 (Medium).JPG (85.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 18th August 2024, 12:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I should note it wasn't easy re-housing all my Blu-rays of films released from the year 2000 to date, however i have done and it won't be as much of a chore adding new ones alphabetically as it was with these shelves.
Old 21st August 2024, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm just over half way through Bad Men by John Connolly.

The premise is intriguing. A violent criminal and his gang are heading to Dutch Island off the coast of Maine to take back $900k his wife has absconded whilst he was in prison. Meanwhile the island has it's own secrets that are guarded by local sheriff, the giant Joe Dupree, secrets seeped in blood from when settlers first arrived on the island then known as Sanctuary.

The two plot strands are slowly weaving together and i mean slowly. There's so much back story to every character so far the actual plot moving forward could have been written in twenty pages. There are hints of the supernatural with an artist's paintings of the island going all M.R. James Mezzotint style.

I'm enjoying it but it's not gripping, not yet anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2151 (Large) (2).JPG (88.4 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!